How To Fix Polycarbonate Sheets
Polycarbonate sheets are mainly used in the roofing and glazing industries and are made of one of the strongest plastics available.
Some of their properties include:
- Up to 200 times stronger than glass
- 5 times lighter than glass
When fitting polycarbonate sheets, it is important to ensure that your roof has a minimum slope of 5o to allow rainwater run-off. Follow this step-by-step guide to fixing Polycarbonate sheets.
- Make sure that the UV protected surface of the sheet (marked on the film of the sheet) is facing the outside. 50mm of protective film should be peeled back from the edges of the sheet before you begin to install.
- Only use sealants, gaskets and other materials that will not harm the Polycarbonate, such as low-modulus neutral silicone.
- It is essential to prevent the ingress of moisture, dust and insects by applying the appropriate tapes, closure and sealants. Blanking tape should be applied to the top and a breather tape should be applied to the bottom end of the sheet to allow air to move through freely, reducing the chance of condensation.
- The sheets should then be cut with a fine tooth circular saw or hand saw and secured in place securely but not tightly as this will prevent thermal expansion and contraction and will adversely affect the installation.
- Polycarbonate sheets should be installed with the ribs running in the direction of the slope and it is recommended that at least one of the ribs is securely clamped in the glazing system.
- At the eaves purlin additional fixing is necessary to prevent wind uplift and downslope slippage due to repeated thermal movement. One button per sheet width, centrally located between glazing bars should be sufficient.
- When drilling the sheet, make sure it is supported firmly underneath and do not drill within 4mm of the edge of the sheet.
We stock Multiwall Polycarbonate in a wide range of colours and styles, accompanied by a large selection of glazing bars and trims. We also stock solid polycarbonate sheets, acrylic sheets and door panel blanks.
Items you will need
- Polycarbonate Sheet Multiwall - 35mm x 1050mm x 2.5mtr Bronze£104.82 £87.35 Save 20% £131.03 £109.19
- Polycarbonate Sheet Multiwall - 25mm x 1500mm x 4mtr Clear£152.38 £126.98 Save 20% £190.46 £158.72
- Polycarbonate Sheet Multiwall - 25mm x 1000mm x 2mtr Bronze£50.80 £42.33 Save 20% £63.49 £52.91
- Polycarbonate Sheet Triplewall - 16mm x 1000mm x 2mtr Clear£39.78 £33.15 Save 20% £49.73 £41.44
- Polycarbonate Sheet Triplewall - 16mm x 1000mm x 2mtr Bronze£39.78 £33.15 Save 20% £49.73 £41.44
- Polycarbonate Sheet Twinwall - 10mm x 1500mm x 4mtr Bronze£72.30 £60.25 Save 20% £90.37 £75.31
- Polycarbonate Sheet Twinwall - 10mm x 1000mm x 2mtr Clear£24.10 £20.08 Save 20% £30.12 £25.10
- Polycarbonate Sheet Twinwall - 10mm x 1000mm x 2mtr Bronze£24.10 £20.08 Save 20% £30.12 £25.10