We sell Rainsmart soakaway crates available either fully assembled or flat packed to save valuable space on site. There is a wide variety of design options to suit all types of different site requirements. In addition to the Rainsmart system we also stock Aquavoid and Polypipe Polystorm Soakaway crate systems.
BUILDING A SOAKAWAY
Soakaways are used to dispose of rainwater on most projects, whether domestic or commercial. Historically, this would have been done by a deep hole being dug and then filled with rubble, broken bricks, blocks and hard core - environmentally this caused issues due to contamination and mechanically, there were also issues due to the gaps between the bricks and blocks filling up - water wouldn't actually soakaway.
This led to the creation of soakaway crates. or cells as they are sometimes referred to. These are now the most commonly used method of building a soakaway for both domestic housing and commercial applications.
RAINSMART SOAKAWAY CRATE - FEATURES & BENEFITS
We have a domestic Rainsmart Ellipse double crate which holds 234 litres of rainwater. Four of these double crates make up 1 cubic metre - which is the most popular size to specify. Vertical crush load on this system is 24.2 tonnes with an 18 tonne vertical crush load.
Our commercial 65 Tonne Heavy crate holds 236 litres of rainwater. Again, four of these crates make up 1 cubic metre. The heavy crate has a vertical crush loading capacity of 65 tonners per square metre - making it the ideal system for load applications in new housing development, industrial and infrastructure projects.
FLAT-PACKED OR PRE-ASSEMBLED
We offer both flat-packed and pre-assembled crates for our Rainsmart Ellipse and 65 Tonne Heavy creates. A standard 1 cubic metre soakaway set should take around 10 - 12 minutes to assemble. All you'll need is a rubber mallet which we supply as part of the kit.
Flat-pack soakaways are slightly more cost effective as they are easier to handle and transport. This option is perfect on both large and small sites where space may be at a premium.
INSTALLATION OF CRATES
As crates are modular, builders and architects can create soakaways in sizes to suit their need. Different shapes and designs such as around a corner or in a long and narrow gully can be created to help with tight spots.
We also have shallow crate options available if you have a high water table or want to dig a shallow excavation.
The outward facing sides of all crates should be wrapped in a geotextile membrane, to stop soil from clogging up the crate.
We recommend that a pre-filter - such as a silt trap - is used in conjunction with a modular soakaway system. Emptying the filter on a regular basis will maintain the systems efficiency and increase its lifespan.
Crates are lightweight and can be installed by unskilled labour if needed.
CONNECTING YOUR SOAKAWAY CRATES
Both our Rainsmart Ellipse and 65 Tonne Heavy soakaway crates have a pipe entry point where your 110mm or 160mm drainage pipe should enter the crate. The membrane should be peeled back and clamped around the point where the pipe enters.
Find out more about installation in our guides and tips.
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre£204.00 £170.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Assembled 1 Cubic Metre£228.00 £190.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Flat-Packed£53.40 £44.50
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Assembled£57.00 £47.50
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Flat-Packed - Shallow£30.00 £25.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Assembled - Shallow£34.80 £29.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Triple Soakaway Crate Flat-Packed£82.80 £69.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Flat-Packed With Silt Trap & Lid 1 Cubic Metre£498.00 £415.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Assembled With Silt Trap & Lid 1 Cubic Metre£534.00 £445.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set Flat-Packed - Heavy 1 Cubic Metre£246.00 £205.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set Assembled - Heavy 1 Cubic Metre£270.00 £225.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Crate Flat-Packed - Heavy 65 Tonne£69.00 £57.50
- Rainsmart Soakaway Crate Assembled - Heavy 65 Tonne£75.00 £62.50
- Rainsmart Soakaway Crate Assembled - Heavy 65 Tonne Shallow£41.40 £34.50
- Rainsmart Soakaway Crate Assembled - Heavy 65 Tonne Shallow£46.20 £38.50
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set Shallow Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre - Option 2£222.00 £185.00
- Rainsmart Shallow Soakaway Set Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre - Option 1£222.00 £185.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set For Heavier Soils Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre£312.00 £260.00
Soakaways & Membranes
Want some advice on how to install your soakaways, or interested in finding out more about our product range, take a look at our guides & tips.